Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Laramie, posters, and Mecury News... Oh my!

Greetings faithful readers.
It has been a little while since I last updated, and boy, are there exciting things for me to share! I'm still in the office right now (I know what you are thinking - Gilly, such a loyal worker, staying 'til all hours) as the New Play Reading starts in about an hour. In the meantime, I shall sit here with my zanatto's water (product placement? Don't worry, I paid.) and tell you a bit about what has been going on here.
The third weekend of Judas was very emotional, but the cast really came together and proved what a family City Lights really is. I know they're excited to bring you two more weekends of thought provoking fun, for which you can buy tickets on the website (had to throw that plug in there). The wonderful reviews keep on coming...
In case you didn't see on Monday, we were on the front page of the Mercury News! Here is a link to the article: http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_13485934?nclick_check=1
The article discusses one of the things I am most excited about right now - City Lights and Arclight partnering to bring the South Bay 'The Laramie Project: 10 Years Later - An Epilogue', as part of a global effort. All fifty states, as well as Spain, England, and China (among other nations) are all mounting staged readings on the same day, commemorating the 11th anniversary of Matthew Shepard's death with a tribute. This is a sequel to 'The Laramie Project', a play chronicling the events and reaction to the brutal murder of Matthew, a gay 21 year old college student whose death brought hate crimes to the forefront of the nation's mind. 10 years later, the writers of the original work, artists from the Tectonic Theater Project, went back to Laramie and interviewed many of the same people, to investigate what the long term effects of the hate crime had been, both socially and politically.
I happen to be one of the eight cast members playing multiple roles in the show, and (without giving too much away) let me tell you that it is an extremely thought provoking and moving piece. I think that the story told is very important -- it is finely written and there are some touching scenes. After the show, I'll go into more detail about the process (I don't want to post anything that might detract for those seeing the show), but I do encourage you to attend. The hows are at 5pm and 8pm on Monday the 12th, and we expect to sell out. The shows will be immediately followed by a streaming live talkback from members of the Tectonic Theater Project, as well as with the cast and our director, David Koppel. There are interviews with people involved in the process, and it promises to be a moving and intellectually rewarding show. I hope to see you there.
On a less intense note, I didn't update at the end of last week, mostly because Martin and I went on an excellent adventure to deliver Judas flyers and posters around downtown San Jose. It was fun, even though I have abysmal taste in shoes. Adventures are good, though, and it's nice to go wander and interact with the lovely patrons (that's you).
Sadly, Miss Vera Sloan has had her last day, having gone to work with Shady Shakespeare. She is already missed, and I hope she'll come back often (so we can go for coffee and chat -- she is a wise one, is Vera. :) ). It's okay, though. I'll probably end up calling her every few days until we find a replacement anyway. But she will never truly be replaced in out hearts! (Ok. I got carried away. *sappy music ends*).
Oooh - Amanda is working away on Dead Man Walking. Exciting things are afoot, which I (or she) shall hopefully be able to share soon. As soon as I can, you will be the first to know (as a reward for reading all of my rambling).
Alright. I'd better go. More soon!
Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. The 8pm sold out while I was in, it was soo crazy!!! Answering the phones and having to tell people "Only the 5pm" was awesome and kinda poopy at the same time. But a lot of people changed their plans and were able to get 5pm tickets. I have mine!

    ReplyDelete