Saturday, September 19, 2009

And this is my conclusion...

I had been holding off on writing a blog post this week because
a) Theater manager ate my life (ticket orders! Whee!)
and, more impressively sounding
b) I saw the Gala performance of Judas and wanted to give you my immediate response.
Now, I went into the theater having read the play (it was recommended to me by a friend before City Lights had announced their season), and having loved it. I also heard parts of it when I shadow house managed on Friday and Saturday nights (more on that later), but determinedly stopped myself from watching bits because I wanted to wait and see the production as a whole.
And the production as a whole was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.
I'll say right away that the standout performances for me were those of Isaac (as Judas), Jeff (as the most bewitchingly evil Satan I have ever seen), Robert (who has one of the hardest scenes in the play), Vera (whose opening monologue sets the show off perfectly), John (who is quite simply hilarious) and... you know what. I could very easily just praise the entire cast. And happily would, but I don't want to deprive the dear readers of the chance to enjoy and appreciate the performances with a fresh eye.
I was totally too shy to introduce myself to anyone at the gala (After I see a show which has that talented a cast I tend to feel irrationally intimidated - I know for a fact that the cast is lovely), but I will be around next weekend, as House manager, to enjoy it all over again.

Now, this post is quickly and inadequately written, but the message you should take is this:
Go see The Last Days of Judas Iscariot. Because there is something to be learned from it. What specifically that is will be individual to each person, but if you don't, you will never know.
Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment